Monday, September 6, 2010

Blind Channel Resort to Waiatt Bay - 3½ hours, 23 miles

Labor Day

We decided we didn't want to stay on this inside passage through two more rapids. The weather report shows rain and light wind. We had choices as to which slack time we were going to take through Okisollo Rapids. One was around 3:30 PM and the other at 9:15 AM. We really didn't want to go out into Johnstone Straight in the afternoon when the wind usually builds. So we bit the bullet and got up at 5:30 this morning. It was still dark, and foggy and rainy. We were out of the slip at 6:00 AM to make it to Okisollo for the 9:15 AM slack. We had good enough sight to be able to see two tug boats with barges in the Straight. Even as it got lighter the fog and rain continued. A bit of a nerve-wracking trip for Fred. He does almost all of the driving now. I usually sit with Merlin in my lap. This time I lay down on the sofa to try and go back to sleep. It didn't work very well. We passed through Okisollo Rapids with relatively calm water. There were a few whirlpools. We entered the Octopus Islands at low water. We usually anchor here because it so beautiful between the islets. Boy there are a lot of rocks at low water! Fred passed the helm to me so he could start setting up for anchoring. I was looking at the boat in front of me and not at the chart plotter. Too late, as Fred hollered and took control back, we hit (very softly) a rock… Boy do I feel like a fool. Fred checked and there doesn't appear to be any damage (except to my pride). We went in to look but two boats were already there so we went out to Waiatt Bay to anchor in deeper water and more safety. The only bird I saw here is a loon. Their call is very sad sounding and quite beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment