Sunday, July 11, 2010

Nanaimo

The temperature has finally dropped to the low 70’s. It is hazy and still muggy. After I went up the dock to get my latte, Merlin & I walked over to the Dragon Races site in the harbor. I was in time for the Carnation Ceremony. There were 10 dragon boats rafted together in the water. Everyone was handed a pink carnation. A beautiful song about strong women was sung as everyone (hundreds of people) threw their carnations into the water. Of course I was thinking about Aunt Pat and my friend Joyce. The Dragon boats then came back to the dock which was lined with hundreds of participants with their paddles pointed up to create an arch as all of the women in the boats filed out. Every one of them is a breast cancer survivor. Not a dry eye anywhere. Even Merlin sat quietly as if he knew it was a reverent moment. Of course then he went as he found pieces of carnations and stems and tried to eat them. I stopped him because I have no idea if they would hurt him.

No comments:

Post a Comment